On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Nathan Torkington wrote:

> Closed-for-posting mailing lists that are publically readable is the
> best suggestion we've had to meet these ends so far.
>
> Anyone have better suggestions?

        I don't know that this is _better_, but...perhaps we could have
the lists that you suggest, but also have separate, publicly postable,
lists where anyone could comment.  If one person from the design committee
would be willing to read these public lists and interact with the people
there, saying "that's a good idea, we'll use it" or (probably more common)
"we'd like to do that, but we can't for reasons XYZ," that would go a long
way towards making the community feel invovled.  Perhaps this duty could
rotate, so that various design-committee voices would be heard on the
outside.

                                Dave