On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 12:25:10AM -0500, Mark-Jason Dominus wrote:
> http://www.xanalys.com/software_tools/mm/articles/lang.html#emacs.lisp
>

> Erik Naggum ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) reports:
>
>      I have run some tests at the U of Oslo with about 100 users who
>      generally agreed that Emacs had become faster in the latest Emacs
>      pretest. All I had done was to remove the "Garbage collecting"
>      message which people perceive as slowing Emacs down and tell them
>      that it had been sped up. It is, somehow, permissible for a
>      program to take a lot of time doing any other task than
>      administrative duties like garbage collection.

Isn't this more or less the same as the Microsoft strategy...?
"The new version must be better because our gazillion dollar marketing
campaign said so.  (We didn't really *fix* anything.)  (We did add
umpteen untested badly designed features, aren't you glad?)"

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen