At 09:48 PM 12/30/00 +0000, Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:
>Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> run on
> >>
> >>Hmm, most modern RISCs are very bad at C-like 16-bit arithmetic - they have
> >>a tendency to widen to 32-bits.
> >
> >That's fine. I was thinking of smaller processors that might be used in
> >embedded apps and such. (I'm also not sure what's the most efficient
> >integer representation on things like the ARM microprocessors are)
>
>ARM7/ARM9 are both 32-bit
>MIPS has both 32-bit and 64-bit variants.

That's good. Though do either of them have 16-bit data busses?

>DSPs are more messy.

That's probably a bit too specialized a piece of hardware to worry about.
Unlss things have changed lately, they're not really general-purpose CPUs.

>It is micro-controllers that you have to worry about

Yeak, I know a lot of the old 8 and 16 bit chips are in use as control
devices places. Those are the ones I'm thinking about. (Not that hard, but
I don't want to rule them out needlessly)

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk