At 12:13 PM 12/31/00 -0600, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> > Yeak, I know a lot of the old 8 and 16 bit chips are in use as control
> > devices places. Those are the ones I'm thinking about. (Not that hard, but
> > I don't want to rule them out needlessly)
>
>Yeah!  I want to dust off my trusty old Z80 boxes :-)
>
>On a more serious note: recently a company announced to have a JVM
>for 8-bit CPUs.  So we should scoff at the idea, either.
>
>http://industry.java.sun.com/javanews/stories/story2/0,1072,32628,00.html

Ah, and I sent my trusty Atari 800 off to the Salvation Army last fall. :)

I'm pretty sure I could wedge a functional perl runtime into a small amount
of memory with enough work. Dunno if I could do it with a 64k machine like
the 6502 (though I suppose, given some of the near-insane amounts of ROM
that got wedged into an 8K address space with overlays...) but I'm pretty
sure I could do it on a PDP-11, with it's 64Kwords of I&D space. Probably
not the baseline, all-C version of the source, but perl nonetheless.

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk