Quoted from http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/09/ilya.html,
an interview with Dr. Ilya Zakharevich:

> Q: Could you describe in more detail what additional text-
> handling primitives you would like to see included with Perl?
> What string munging operations are absent that really ought to
> be included in Perl's core?
>
> A: The problem: Perl's text-handling abilities do not scale
> well. This has two faces, both invisible as far as you confine
> yourselves to simple tasks only. The first face is not that
> Perl lacks some "operations;" it is not that some "words" are
> missing, whole "word classes" are not present. Imagine
> expressive power of a language without adjectives.
>
> In Perl text-handling equals string-handling. But there is
> more in a text than the sequence of characters. You see a text
> of a program - you can see boundaries of blocks, etc.; you see
> an English text, you can see word boundaries and sentence
> boundaries, etc. With the exception of the word boundaries,
> all these "distinctive features" become very hard to recognize
> by a "local inspection of a sequence of characters near an
> offset" - unless you agree to use a heuristic which works only
> time to time. But a lot of problems require recognition of the
> relative position of a substring w.r.t. these "distinctive
> features".
>
> Remember those "abstract algorithms" books and lessons? You
> can solve the problems "straightforwardly," or you can do it "
> smartly." Typically, "straightforward" algorithms are easy to
> code, but they do not scale well. Smart algorithms start by an
> appropriate preprocessing step. You organize your data first.
> The particular ways to do this may be quite different: you
> sort the data, or keep an "index" of some kind "into your data,"
> you hash things appropriately, your balance some trees, and
> so on. The algorithms use the initial data together with such
> an "index."
>
> Perl provides a few primitives to work with strings, which are
> quite enough to code any "straightforward" algorithm. What
> about "smart" ones? You need preprocessing. Typically, digging
> out the info is easy with Perl, but how would you store what
> you dug? The information should be kept "off band," for example,
> in an array or hash of offsets into the string.
>
> Now modify the string a little bit, say, perform some s()()
> substitutions, or cut-and-paste with substr(). What happens
> with your "off band" information? It went out of sync. You
> need to update your annotating structures. Do not even think
> about doing s()()g, since you do not have enough info about
> the changes after the fact. You need to do your s()() one-by-
> one - but while s()()g is quite optimized, a series of s()()
> is not - and you get stuck again into the land of badly
> scaling algorithms.
>
> (Strictly speaking, for this particular example s()()eg could
> save you - as well as code-embedded-into-a-regular-expression,
> but this was only a simple illustration of why off-band data
> [...]

That's exactly the kind of thing we can do by exposing regexp engine's guts.
Tags in the string we can implement by using lists, just as lisp would do
it. If we have SVs that actually independ from the implementation, we can
create a ``tagged-string'', that's seen as a string by the script but
internally implemented as a list. And, if we have access to the regexp
engine's guts, we can implement matches and substitutions against those
magic tagged strings.

The other thing about copy-on-write would be piece of cake, using the same
magic SVs for implementing strings that are substrings of other strings.

Branden.