On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 12:05:46PM -0600, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> I've always shaken my head in disbelief when people measure/brag
> about programming prowess by the number of lines of code written.
> A true programmer is able to delete lines and still achieve the same
> functionality while simultaneously making the code shorter and simpler
> and therefore easier to understand and maintain.

quote <<EOTORVALDS;
Did I mention my belief in the true meaning of "intelligence"?

"Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet get the work done".

Lazy programmers are the best programmers. Think Tom Sawyer painting the
fence. That's intelligence.

Requiring almost no effort is a big plus in my book.

It's the "clever" programmer I'm afraid of. The one who isn't afraid of
generating complexity, because he has a Plan (capital "P"), and he knows
he can work out the details later.

I strongly believe that trying to be clever is detrimental to your health.
EOTORVALDS

--
FAILURE:
    When Your Best Just Isn't Good Enough