Since everyone's spinning aimlessly around, I'll throw out something for
everyone to think about, and perhaps we can get a PDD out of it.

One of the features of perl 6 is going to be the ability to automatically
use a module if one or more preregistered functions are used in your
source. So, for example, if we pull out the socket routines into a separate
module but your code uses one of the socket routines, we automagically use
the socket module. The fact that it's separate is completely invisible to
your program. The module loaded can define the routines as either regular
perl subs or opcode functions (the difference is in calling convention
mainly) and could be the standard mix of perl or compiled code.

Would someone care to take a shot at formalizing the system? We need a way
to register these functions, track the module version (if any) they're in,
and stuff like that. (Including, I'm sure, things I've forgotten)

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk