At 03:44 PM 2/1/2001 +0000, Simon Cozens wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 10:14:20AM -0500, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> > The module loaded can define the routines as either regular
> > perl subs or opcode functions (the difference is in calling convention
> > mainly) and could be the standard mix of perl or compiled code.
> >
> > Would someone care to take a shot at formalizing the system?
>
>Well, this is currently called XS. (Although you can't do user-defined
>ops in XS, but it's *theoretically* possible. The margin of this email
>is not wide enough, etc.) Are you asking for someone to define a replacement
>for XS, or just a method for doing what we currently do with, say, glob or
>the heavy unicode things?

None of the above. What I'm looking for is the pieces that turn the use of
a function into an automagic use of the module containing that function.
This includes stuff like some sort of function registry, a means of getting
functions on to and off of the registry, any sort of restricted behaviour
we might want to enforce on the automagic uses, and stuff like that.

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk