Peter Scott wrote:

> Eh?  I thought PPM was simply "perl -MCPAN -e install" for Windows users,
> pointed to a set of modules which have XS content that they'd had to fiddle
> with to port to Win32.

        Not by far. It is a replacment for CPAN that builds and
 maintains its own local database of installed modules.

>From PPM docs:
 DESCRIPTION

 PPM is a group of functions intended to simplify the tasks of
 locating, installing, upgrading and removing software 'packages'. It
 can determine if the most recent version of a software package is
 installed on a system, and can install or upgrade that package from
 a local or remote host.

 PPM uses files containing a modified form of the Open Software
 Distribution (OSD) specification for information about software
 packages. These description files, which are written in Extensible
 Markup Language (XML) code, are referred to as 'PPD' files.
 Information about OSD can be found at the W3C web site (at the
 time of this writing, http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-OSD.html). The
 modifications to OSD used by PPM are documented in PPM::ppd.

 PPD files for packages are generated from POD files using the pod2ppd
command.

Clayton