I had the time to do a research in Internet about rpm/jar. The correct URLs
are:
* http://www.rpm.org
* http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.1/docs/guide/jar/

I found great utilitaries in http://www.rpm.org/software.html, we could
probably steal some of them for `par'. I found out that most of them are
written in Perl or otherwise Perl-related.
* rpm2html / rpmfind: The equivalent of CPAN.pm?
* rpm-cvs: Building a RPM from a CVS source tree.
* AutoRpm: Update a system with rpms from any source.
* rpmlint: A lint for rpms packages.
* Perl-RPM: Attempts Perl bindings for RPM.
* build-package: Build rpms from source packages.

I put together a comparison table between par and rpm/jar. I would include
tgz here, but I didn't want to break the 70 column barrier and I think it
would probably be No for most features anyway... I intend to include the
table with the beta PDD.

                       +-------------+-------------+-------------+
  Comparison table:    |     par     |     rpm     |     jar     |
+----------------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+
| Platform independent |     Yes     |     Yes     |     Yes     |
|                      |             |             |             |
| Available in a wide  |     Yes     |     No      |     Yes     |
| range of platforms   |             | (Win32 +/-, |             |
|                      |             | MacOS, VMS) |             |
|                      |             |             |             |
| Allow platform       |     Yes     |     Yes     |     No      |
| dependent deployment |             |             |             |
|                      |             |             |             |
| Supports binary,     |     Yes     |     Yes     |     No      |
| source and bytecode  |             |             |  (source?)  |
|                      |             |             |             |
| Install archive      |     Yes     |     Yes     |     No      |
| automatically        |             |             |  (manually) |
|                      |             |             |             |
| Uninstall and        |     Yes     |     Yes     |     No      |
| upgrade archive      |             |             |             |
|                      |             |             |             |
| Install, uninstall   |     No      |     Yes     |     No      |
| and upgrade scripts  | (possibly)  |             |             |
|                      |             |             |             |
| Run from archive     |     Yes     |     No      |     Yes     |
|                      |             |             |             |
| Resources            |     Yes     |     Yes     |     Yes     |
|                      |             |             |             |
| Documentation        |     Yes     |     Yes     |     No      |
|                      |             |             |             |
| Supports various     |     Yes     |     No      |     Yes     |
| modules per archive  |             |    (yes)    | (packages)  |
|                      |             |             |             |
| Merge many archives  |     Yes     |     No      |     Yes     |
| in one               |             |             |             |
|                      |             |             |             |
| Usable with external |     Yes     |     No      |     Yes     |
| tools (e.g. WinZip)  |             |             |             |
|                      |             |             |             |
| Dependencies of      |     Yes     |     Yes     |     No      |
| the archive          |  (included) |             |             |
|                      |             |             |             |
| Build archive from   |     Yes     |     Yes     |     No      |
| source tree          |             | (external)  |             |
|                      |             |             |             |
| Could be bundled     |     Yes     |  Probably   |  Maybe (if  |
| with Perl 6?         |             |     No      |  we bundle  |
|                      |             |  (too big)  |  a JVM too) |
| Signed archives      |     No      |     No      |     Yes     |

- Branden