At 04:13 PM 2/12/2001 +0000, Simon Cozens wrote:
>How much can we do in the compiler, and how much can we do in the
>interpreter? If we're having cached bytecode, it makes sense to do
>as much optimization as we can in the compiler. If not, we might
>as well brute force things to conserve compilation time. Or should
>this be user-selectable with "use less"?

The compiler can do a lot, but perl is a really loose language at compile
time, so it's really easy to introduce uncertainty into the various data
flow graphs, and the uncertainty can spread awfully quickly.

>I'm still thinking about things like type inferencing to reduce the
>number of conversions that need to be done at runtime.

I'm hoping to do a fair amount of that, and I'm really hoping to get the
core classes to have vtables that are pretty efficient.

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk