James Mastros <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Ahh, bingo.  That's what a number of people (inculding me) are
> suggesting -- a :functional / :pure / :stateless /
> :somthingelseIdontrecall attribute attachable to a sub.

The experience from gcc, which has a similar attribute, is that such an
attribute will be fairly rarely used and that most of your gains will come
from managing to teach the compiler to figure out that information for
itself.

This will probably be harder in Perl than in C because C can afford to
take more time to do global optimization passes.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>