At 03:38 PM 3/29/2001 -0800, David Whipp wrote:
> > From: Dan Sugalski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> > I'm hoping to have this stage of optimization in perl. Off by
> > default with
> > a normal parse-and-go run (though certainly enableable if you
> > want), on by
> > default with the bytecode compiler.
>
>Don't forget about run-time information: You could mark candidates
>for optimisation at compile time then, at run time, if the size
>of the array is "big" then spend the time to see if you can
>optimise.

Yeah, I've been thinking along those lines--a sort of JIT optimizer. I'm
not sure if there are spots other than this that'd be worth it, but there
may well be. (We could do it for large loops, too) Only worth it for runs
that we don't optimize before hand, of course, but it could be an
interesting thing to weld in.

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk