At 03:38 PM 4/24/2001 -0700, Nathan Wiger wrote:
>"Stephen P. Potter" wrote:
> >
> > You still haven't given a good explanation of
> >
> > $a += sub();      # is it a string or a number?
> >
> > Does your plan mean that we can no longer have subs that are context
> > dependent?
>
>No, Schwern asked me this same thing off list, here's what I said:
>
>One possibility:

Okay, I've been ignoring this more or less up until now, but...

Can we *please* not do this? The "magic if stringified" trick will either
shoot the optimizer (if we need to tell at runtime if something's string or
non-string) or make my head explode trying to make the parser handle it in
anything resembling an elegant way.

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk