<snip>

But $, @, and % indicate data organization, not type...

> What if, instead of cramming everything into "scalar" to the point
> where it loses its value as "a data type that magically converts
> between numeric and string, as needed," we undo the Great Perl5
> Dilution and undecorate references.

Continuing this further, why keep *any* notation at all? Why are vars with
string or numeric data more worthy of $?

<snip>
> We are at the point where there are so many variable types that the
> dollar sign on their names has become a hollow formality.

Again, I'm confused. All I expect from something with a $ is that it's a
single value, not necessarily a string or a number. And what if I want to
treat a string-ifiable object as an untyped value? Is my var then "$
worthy"?

- Matt