On 05/23/2017 12:05 AM, Richard Hainsworth wrote:
I was upgrading perl6 and following the standard instructions, only to find Task::Star is no longer in the Ecosystem.

Surely if this is not an error, the change should be notified.

Also, I upgraded a module of my own, but the Travis testing failed. It seems that panda is not working either.

Panda might be deprecated, but removing it seems a bit sudden. I checked and there seem to be quite a few modules that reference panda in their travis.yml files.

RIchard

Hi Richard,

Panda stinks.  It is being replaced with `zef`.
Here are my notes on zef (it presumes Fedora Core
25 Linux, but you can get the procedure from it for
Windows):

HTH,
-T

Installing modules: zef

Note: modules can be downloaded from
         https://modules.perl6.org/
      with
         git clone address_from_above

Install zef:
    $ git clone https://github.com/ugexe/zef.git
    $ mv zef zef.git
    $ cd zef.git
    $ perl6 -Ilib bin/zef install .
    $ cd ..

or if using https://github.com/nxadm/rakudo-pkg/releases
    $ install_zef_as_user.sh: install it in ~/.perl6
    # install_zef_as_root.sh: install it in /opt/rakudo as root (use sudo)
It will give you a path merge one liner

This should install to /usr/lib64/perl6/site/bin/zef
Make a link to it with
    # ln -s /usr/lib64/perl6/site/bin/zef /usr/bin/zef

Then update your path:
    # vi /etc/profile
      under the last pathmunge, add (depending on where perl6 really is)
           # perl 6's panda path
           # pathmunge /usr/share/perl6/site/bin after
           pathmunge /opt/rakudo/bin after

And make a link from the actual location to the expected location
    # ln -s /opt/rakudo/bin/perl6  /usr/bin/perl6

USAGE

Note: run as a user

    zef --help

# install the CSV::Parser distribution (it will also install dependancies)
    zef install CSV::Parser
    zef install Net::SMTP
    zef install NQP::Eval
    zef install Terminal::ANSIColor

    # search for distribution names matching `CSV`
    zef search CSV

    # detailed information for a matching distribution
    zef info CSV::Parser

    # list all available distributions
    zef list

    # list reverse dependencies of an identity
    zef rdepends HTTP::UserAgent

    # test project in current directory
    zef test .

    # fetch a specific module only
    zef fetch CSV::Parser

    # fetch a module, then shell into its local path
    zef look CSV::Parser

    # smoke test modules from all repositories
    zef smoke

    # run Build.pm if one exists in given path
    zef build .

    # update Repository package lists
    zef update

    # upgrade all distributions (BETA)
    zef upgrade

    # upgrade specific distribution (BETA)
    zef upgrade CSV::Parser

    # lookup module info by name/path/sha1
    zef --sha1 locate 9FA0AC28824EE9E5A9C0F99951CA870148AE378E

--
Computers are like air conditioners.