Some progress on this has already been made, which is how it got as close
to standalone as it is now -- previously the REPL was more NQP than Rakudo.
Do you have something specific in mind?

One of my dreams is to adopt a client/server + middleware model from nREPL
(clojure) which I think works really well, and likely to do that in
userspace as a regular module. Moving everything into REPL.pm (perl6
instead of nqp) lets us use de-facto interfaces and easily override it in a
user module.

--Brock