On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 5:56 AM, ToddAndMargo <toddandma...@zoho.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 12:57 AM, ToddAndMargo <toddandma...@zoho.com
>>> <mailto:toddandma...@zoho.com>> wrote:
>>>     On 10/21/2017 12:40 AM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>>>
>>>         If I write a program for a customer who pays my labor to
>>>         write it, who own the program?  Me or the customer?
>>>

>>>     I am a private contractor.  What they payed me for fixing a/the
>>>     problem.  They don't care how.  I was wondering if they owned
>>>     any of the code I wrote to fix the problem.  The customer did
>>>     not specifically ask me to write anything.
>>>

> On 10/21/2017 01:07 AM, Brent Laabs wrote:
>
>> This depends on the contract you signed with the customer, and laws in
>> your local jurisdiction.  As such, it's probably a question more
>> appropriate to ask a lawyer than this list.
>>

> There is no contract involved.  The customer wants a problem fixed.
> He does not want to know how.  And he is not commissioning me for
> any software.  Just a fix.

My working assumption in this case is that for fixing/patching existing
software, any code is subject to the original copyright and ownership;
because I am working as an agent for the customer, new stuff is owned by
the customer unless specified otherwise.

BUT.

If this situation comes up, you need to be talking to the *customer* about
it. It doesn't necessarily need to be a formal contract, but the final
decision should be in writing and you and the customer should both have
signed copies of it in case questions come up in the future.

allber...@gmail.com                                  ballb...@sinenomine.net