Lightning flashed, thunder crashed and Nathan Torkington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> whi
spered:
| I'm trying to understand what people fear, and why they fear it, so
| that I know how to respond.  Ridiculing, inflaming, or exaggerating
| those fears don't make them go away.

Dan may be correct that a lot of the problem is perception (except the
performance).  But I think it is more the culture than the perception.  The
original culture was easy things are easy, hard things are a little less
easy, and impossible things are hard (but possible).  The new culture seems
to be more of the easy things are hard, the hard things are easy, the
impossible is a lot less easy.

For example, take a look at Camel1.  It was a small book; you could carry
it around without building up huge biceps.  You could reasonable read it in
a couple of days and get started with perl.  I tried to get us to maintain
that in Camel2, but it grew to almost 700 pages.  Camel3 is 1100 pages,
about a 3 fold increase from Camel1.  I can weightlift with it now.
Someone looking at that is going to think they have to know all that to be
effective.

What is Camel4 going to look like for perl 6?  What is going to be required
knowledge for perl6.  Let's just start by looking at Apoc2.  To use perl,
you'll have to know Unicode, you'll have to know OO, you'll have to
understand references.  Those are three very technical concepts that make
using perl to quickly throw things together much more difficult.  And
that's just Apoc2....

-spp