Hi

El mié., 3 oct. 2018 a las 7:14, Richard Hainsworth (<rnhainswo...@gmail.com>)
escribió:

> I have just started a review of the documentation for perl6.
>
> When I hit `https://docs.perl6.org/language.html`
> <https://docs.perl6.org/language.html> I get a list of
> sections that is the same as the alphabetical list of pod files in
> `github.com/perl6/doc/tree/master/doc/Language`
> <http://github.com/perl6/doc/tree/master/doc/Language> without
> 00-POD6-CONTROL.
>
> One of my biggest issues about the Language page is its unstructured
> listing.
>
> I looked at 00-POD6-CONTROL and found that the categories were much more
> useful than a straight enumeration of files.
>
> Then I looked at the makefile in the repository, which appears to
> generate documentation based on 00-POD6-CONTROL.
>
> I clicked around on the perl6.org site to see whether I could find a
> landing page for the documentation that is structured as in
> 00-POD6-CONTROL, but couldn't.
>
> So, the question is: why is 00-POD6-CONTROL not used for the Language
> web page? That is why does docs.perl6.org/language.html not reflect the
> structure in 00-POD6-CONTROL?

Simply because there has been no time to do it yet. The tooling part of the
Perl 6 docs is complicated and needs an overhaul, and there were already
some pains to implement that particular part; that second part will have to
wait.

> I do - vaguely - remember a discussion about documentation categories.
> Was it resolved in favour of a straight enumeration of files?

No, it wasn't, but in the same way that so many things in the documentation
repo (and, for that matter, others) lays in waiting someone has the time to
do it.

> If so, would someone please explain why the most visible public-facing
> description of perl6 is better as an unstructured clutter, rather than a
> structured list with some clue about how each file fits into a whole?

No, it's not. But someone's got to do it.

> I actually disagree a bit with the ordering in 00-POD6-CONTROL, in that
> I would put the 'General Reference' section first. But any order is
> better than no order.

I tend to agree with that.

Cheers

JJ