On 2020-04-09 20:36, Tobias Boege wrote:
On 2020-04-09 09:39, Richard Hainsworth wrote:
Am I missing something here?

It would seem obvious to me that Git and Raku are not linked in any way,
except of course for developers who only use Git with Raku, or who only
have a dependency on Git through zef.

It would therefore seem to me that a Raku / Zef distribution should NOT
bundle Git. Consequently, 'Git' is not "forgotten" and that is *should*
be installed independently.

Git is required for Zef to operate.  So Git is a dependency
of Zef.  Therefor Zef should either include Git or warn
the user that he needs to download it himself

That's an exaggeration. git is a dependency of the p6c ecosystem that zef
is preconfigured to support. But zef currently supports CPAN as well which
does not need git. If you don't have git installed, you get access to CPAN
(and of course modules you install from your own local filesystem) but not
p6c. Whether that is enough is your call.

AFAICS, git is not a dependency of the zef packge in Fedora either. I just
started a fresh VM, installed Rakudo and zef and then via zef a module and
its dependencies -- all without git.

Regards,
Tobias

Tobias,

If I can not do a `zef install [package]` without
first install git, then it is a dependency.

Maybe not all packages are supporting CPAN?

-T