The real question is therefore which things (modules/tools/etc) should be included in a distribution that someone in the target audience may not have, and which may it be assumed that someone in the target audience will already have or can find. It seems fairly obvious to me that git is something a developer should have or can easily obtain.

But that is a matter of judgement. Leaving git out is not 'a mistake', not was it 'forgotten'. It was a judgement.

It is also a matter of judgement as to whom the target audience is. But that is entirely another topic.

On 10/04/2020 01:37, ToddAndMargo via perl6-users wrote:
On 2020-04-09 09:39, Richard Hainsworth wrote:
Am I missing something here?

It would seem obvious to me that Git and Raku are not linked in any way, except of course for developers who only use Git with Raku, or who only have a dependency on Git through zef.

It would therefore seem to me that a Raku / Zef distribution should NOT bundle Git. Consequently, 'Git' is not "forgotten" and that is *should* be installed independently.

Git is required for Zef to operate.  So Git is a dependency
of Zef.  Therefor Zef should either include Git or warn
the user that he needs to download it himself