> I would like to see some sort of "use really_strict" pragma which would
> disable at compile time the kinds of things you mentioned:

Yes, the point is to make this possible, not required.  I thought Perl was
supposed to make "hard things possible."  This is easy in Java and its not
even possible in Perl.

> >No subroutine refs.  No dynamic inheritance.  No autoloading.  No
> >dynamic method calls.  No symbol table manipulation.  No eval.  No
> >automatic method generation.  (That's off the top of my head).
>
> Of those, only subroutine refs and automatic method generation look like
> must-haves for major projects, which are willing to surrender some of the
> cute stuff in return for stability.

Subroutine refs are fine.  Again, Java does them with interfaces.

Someone please tell me what automatic method generation is exactly.

Daniel