tl;dr: is this a Rakudo issue?

ooh a puzzle 😀 why do 'ff' and 'fff' give different results in this case?
The start & end are disjoint, the $++ should only run when the string test
is true, so I expect 'ff' and 'fff' to behave the same also.

Golfing a little

$ raku -e 'my @input=qw<nope + B C D - 1 - no + E F - 2 3 - never never + G
- 4 5 - hide>; \
say "With ff:  ",@input.grep({($_ eq "+" && $++ < 2) ff  ($_ eq "-" && $++
< 2)}); \
say "With fff: ",@input.grep({($_ eq "+" && $++ < 2) fff ($_ eq "-" && $++
< 2)});'

With ff:  (+ B C D - + E F - 2 3 - never never + G - 4 5 - hide)
With fff: (+ B C D - + E F -)

With both of these, the flip-flop turns on with the first '+' and turns off
with the first '-'
With both of these, the 2nd '+' turns on the flip-flop.
WIth 'ff', the flip-flop never turns off, with 'fff' the flip-flop turns
off when it encounters the next '-'

I wonder... let's have the end of the flip-flop say every time it runs

raku -e 'my @input=qw<nope + B C D - ?? - no + E F - !! ## - never never +
G - %% && - hide>; \
say "With ff: ";say @input.grep({($_ eq "+" && $++ < 2) ff  ("checking
$_".say && $_ eq "-" && say "increment to " ~ ++$ )}); \
say "With fff:";say @input.grep({($_ eq "+" && $++ < 2) fff ("checking
$_".say && $_ eq "-" && say "increment to " ~ ++$ )});'

With ff:
checking nope
checking +
checking B
checking C
checking D
checking -
increment to 1
checking ??
checking -
increment to 2
checking no
checking +
checking E
checking F
checking -
increment to 3
checking !!
checking ##
checking -
increment to 4
checking never
checking never
checking +
checking G
checking -
increment to 5
checking %%
checking &&
checking -
increment to 6
checking hide
(+ B C D - + E F -)
With fff:
checking B
checking C
checking D
checking -
increment to 1
checking E
checking F
checking -
increment to 2
(+ B C D - + E F -)

Hey gurus, why is the end check in 'ff' running so much more often than the
end check of 'fff' ?

ps. I had many weird errors, due to having "rake" installed, and having
something autocorrect my "raku" command-line to "rake"!!!

-y