On 10/30/21 02:23, chohag via perl6-users wrote:
ToddAndMargo via perl6-users writes:
On 10/29/21 18:42, Ralph Mellor wrote:

Hi Raiph,

I was trying to get the whole thing in Raku.
the "from perl 5" is cool stuff for sure, but
I would still be maintaining 90% of the code in
perl 5. So it is better just to stay in p5.

Which part of the machinery around 'use' and ':from<perl5>' is not Raku?

That is Raku.

The code it calls is not.  I am trying to convert the
code it calls to Raku.

Using existing perl 5 code is not not using Raku. One of Raku's
most admirable features is the fact of it being a wholly new language
which nevertheless does _NOT_ discard decades of hard-won experience.

The languages even look familiar enough that were I a new developer
used to Raku and having to examine perl 5 code, I don't think I
would feel totally out of place (I swing the other way).

Plus if you really really want to redevelop something, at least
pick a better and more useful protocol than FTP.

Matthew

Hi Matthew,

The FTP code is part of a backup program.  Ransonware
can't find and encrypt ftp servers.   And if they get
close, I will set two different account for read and
write, which will kill the bad guys dead.  I have already
saved one customer's ass with FTP backups.

The reason for wanting to switch this program over to
Raku is that Perl 5 is a write only language and is
difficult for me to maintain even when I am the one
that wrote the code.  Perl 6 (Raku) is a dream for
me to maintain.

-T

You can make Raku write only too if you try, but I
write in Top down and Raku is a dream come true.
I LOVE THE SUB DECLARATIONS!