On 10/30/21 10:52, chohag via perl6-users wrote:
ToddAndMargo via perl6-users writes:
On 10/30/21 02:23, chohag via perl6-users wrote:
Which part of the machinery around 'use' and ':from<perl5>' is not Raku?

That is Raku.

The code it calls is not.  I am trying to convert the
code it calls to Raku.

Why when your computer is already doing it for you on the fly?

The FTP code is part of a backup program.  Ransonware
can't find and encrypt ftp servers.   And if they get
close, I will set two different account for read and
write, which will kill the bad guys dead.  I have already
saved one customer's ass with FTP backups.

The reason for wanting to switch this program over to
Raku is that Perl 5 is a write only language and is
difficult for me to maintain even when I am the one
that wrote the code.  Perl 6 (Raku) is a dream for
me to maintain.

Net::FTP has been in development since at least 1996. The chance
that you will need to do any maintenance on it is about zero and
you wish to throw away its 25 years of work providing a major
component of a *security system* and write it yourself?

For customers?

Best of luck.

Matthew

Hi Matthew,

I think you misunderstand.  The code I want to convert is
code that I wrote.  I want to migrate it to Perl 6 from
Perl 5 because Perl 5 is 20 times more difficult for me
to maintain.  All of my new programming is in Perl 6 and
this is my last hold out.

I am getting tired of "what
the h--- is this and what the h--- is that" when I have
to go into my Perl 5 code.  Perl 5's subroutine syntax
is an abomination for starters, especially since I
write in Top Down.  And Perl 5's OOP is a nightmare for
me to read, which "Net::FTP" is very fond of.

And if the ftp module in Perl 6 is not ready yet, I
am not above writing my own ftp module.  I would
still be easier to maintain than Perl 5 code.

All I need is how to open and close a network connection. The RFC for FTP is easy to follow. Not to mention
that I have to use free hand ftp code where I write
the command and run string already a few times in my
Perl 5 code.  It would be pretty eash to figure out.

I am not trying to reinvent the wheel here.  I am trying
to empower the mechanic that has to maintain the wheel by
providing him with round wheels instead of square wheels.

-T