Something that helps me reason about this is thinking of how regular
expressions match against strings, to remember that which goes on which
side is important...

> "this has a Q in it" ~~ / 'Q' /  # of course this works

「Q」

> / 'Q' / ~~ "this has a Q in it" # of course this breaks

Regex object coerced to string ...

> say do given "this has a Q in it" { when / 'Q' / {"has a Q"}; default
{"no match"}}

has a Q

> say do given / 'Q' / { when "this has a Q in it" {"has a Q"}; default
{"no match"}}

Regex object coerced to string ...

I did have a place in the earlier discussion. I eventually realized that if
I thought of junctions as analogous to regular expressions, then it was
easier to remember which side of the smartmatch or given/when to put it.

-y