  >> Wrong--you may have a terrifically hard time using perl modules to
  >> provide functions for non-perl languages that the interpreter
  >> supports. It may not help Python, or Ruby, for example, that libnet
  >> or its equivalent are provided as part of perl 6.

  s> Huh??

my translation:

some features in other languages require core level support if perl6
will be able to emulate or interact with them.

  s> There's two things in combination going on here.  1) The feature is
  s> obscure.  2) The feature is easy and fairly efficient to implement
  s> outside of Perl 6.  That's the rough criterion I'm using for
  s> determining if something should or should not be in the core.

  s> Curried functions, AFAIK, only have the first trait.  Then again, I
  s> really don't understand curried functions.  If it turns out they have
  s> both traits, maybe we should relegate them to a core module instead.

i disagree. that is too arbitrary. there are advantages and
disadvantages to having things in the core vs. a module. the decision
should be made on a feature by feature basis. look at damian's switch
stuff. it works as a (source filtered) module now but it would obviously
be better as a builtin. then you can have better parser support, tighter
integration with the op code dispatcher (a switch op code may refer
directly to other op codes. a perl module couldn't easily do that), etc.

other features are on the fence. we have heard requests for all the
socket stuff (getby*, socket, etc.) to be made into a module. it would
be a core module, and maybe (invisibly) autoloaded. it may be mostly in
(inline) c. but there are benefits to having it in the core as it will
interact with the event loop and op code dispatching and signals, etc.

so let's not get into a war on core or not for modules. it will depend
on how each one wants to interact with the core and parser.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture and Stem Development ------ http://www.stemsystems.com