> Sounds like what we really want is a form of "for" which can iterate
> over a list of hashes or arrays:
>
> for my @a ( @foo, @bar ) { ...
>
> for my %h ( %foo, %bar ) { ...

Yes.

Isn't the underlying issue in the above how perl6 handles manipulation
and aliasing of multi-dimensional arrays into derived sub-structures?

In other words, isn't there a more general problem of how to provide
MD access and what to do with the currently one dimensional operations
like:

    for (@foo) {

when @foo is multi-dimensional?

Jeremy Howard wrote RFCs that I think relate to this and pointed
me to J (APL cleaned up) as a powerful source of related ideas.
I think the specific issue above relates to a combination of
merge/unmerge and other proposed features.