  BS> ln, asinh, acosh, atanh2?
  >>
  >> dan mentioned log (base anything) but i don't recall ln. and definitely
  >> the arc hyberbolics are in after i pointed them out. dunno about atanh2.
  >>
  JH> We only really need ln(). Then [log(y) base x] is simply [ln(y)/ln(x)].
  JH> There's no need to have separate functions for different bases.

then there is no need for tan, or secant, or many others. it is useful
to have some functions map directly to math lib calls. it usually is
faster (fewer ops to call) and sometimes more accurate. we have pow and
dan said will will probably have exp too. same thing. having these extra
ops costs almost nothing and will simplify code generation and support
of multiple language frontends. keep in mind parrot's goal is beyond
just supporting perl5 functions. there is no reason why we can't support
most common math functions in their most useful forms and not be minimal
and have only 1 ln function. we can have ln, log2, log10 and log (any
base) all at the same time.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com