Simon Cozens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 09:05:33AM -0400, Andy Dougherty wrote:

>> While imperfect and Unix-centric, we can (and should!) learn a lot
>> from auto{conf,make} and metaconfig.

> *nod*. I just had a look around, and most of the other languages are
> using autoconf. But then, most of the other languages don't run on
> upwards of 70 platforms. :(

> I wonder how serious we need to be about keeping that goal.

autoconf and libtool give you basically every version of Unix and Windows
under cygwin pretty much for free.  That's a nice start.  The other
platforms, like MacOS, Windows with MS compilers, and so forth probably
will need a separate build system, but that's not really new.  Tcl just
has autoconf plus separate build systems for those platforms where
autoconf won't run.

There's a lot to be said for not re-inventing the wheel.  Taking a good
look at the facilities for dynamic loading provided by libtool before
rolling our own again may also be a good idea; it's designed to support
dynamically loadable modules.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>