> What specifically do you expect might end up in linux.[hc] as opposed to,
> say, solaris.[hc]?  How many different *bsd.[ch] files do you propose? How
> many different System V.4-derived platform files do you propose?

We could always rename linux.[hc] to posix.[hc] or something similar. Is
dlopen a standard Posix function?

Another approach might be to seperate the functions into their own files.
Then we could have a "driver" for each platform that consisted of nothing
but #include's of other .c files. Making a directory for each platform might
be appropriate if we do this. I bet that most of the posix "platform" source
files would be #include'ed into each of the more specific drivers.

Or each platform could have its own Makefile that compiled the appropriate
..c files into a library that can then be linked against when compiling the
rest of Parrot. This way changing one of the single function source files
won't cause the rest of them to get recompiled.

Another thing that comes to mind: won't the signatures for each of the
platform-independant Parrot_* functions be the same across platforms? Do we
really need to duplicate them in the header file for each platform? I do
think, however, that we might still want a header file for each platform for
typedefs and #define's.

Jason.