At 11:40 AM 11/2/2001 -0500, Andy Dougherty wrote:
>What specifically do you expect might end up in linux.[hc] as opposed to,
>say, solaris.[hc]?  How many different *bsd.[ch] files do you propose? How
>many different System V.4-derived platform files do you propose?

That's a very good question.

Okay, here's the updated scheme.

*) There is a platform/generic.c and platform/generic.h. (OK, it'll
probably really be unixy, but these days it's close enough) If there is no
pltform-specific file, this is the one that gets copied to platform.c and
platform.h

*) If there *is* a platform specific file it may, and probably should
unless it plans on overriding everything, include generic.c and generic.h.

*) All entries in generic.c should be bracketed with "#if
!defined(OVERRIDE_funcname)" and any functions that the platform defines
that override one in generic.c should have a corresponding #define
OVERRIDE_function in the platform-specific .h file

Yeah, this is definitely a pain. If someone's got a better idea I'm all ears...

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk