On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Bryan C. Warnock wrote:

> On Friday 07 December 2001 03:32 am, Brent Dax wrote:
> > I have no idea how many times this has been suggested.  :^)

> Dependency-ish rules, a la make.  Maybe even tied into the actual build
> itself.  I don't think getting them to run in the right order is a problem.
> I think *writing* them so that they can be run in the right order is.

> <anecdote mode="boring">

> But all I really needed was Perl, so I thought I'd give it a gander.  After
> all the lifeless GNU-ish configs, the Configure seemed thorough,
> informative, and, well, entertaining - only partly due to the seemingly
> random, haphazardous order it would do things in.

Funny you should mention that, because Perl's Configure does things in
order determined by 'Dependency-ish rules, a la make'.  Configure is
indeed built in just the way you suggest.

Dependency order isn't quite enough, alas, but it's very close.  There are
currently some circular dependencies (mostly in the 64-bit area) that have
proven particularly knotty.

> random, haphazardous order it would do things in.  (But in all fairness to
> the GNU maintainers, Perl didn't fair much better.  It failed to build
> because of preprocessor token concatenation, it looked like, of which
> Configure determined it was "Ah, the good ol' days.")

Hmm.  What version of perl?  5.005 and later require ANSI C, which it
sounds like you didn't have.  (Very off-topic at this point, so private
reply is just fine.)

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Dept. of Physics