On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 09:14:10AM -0800, Larry Wall wrote:
> NaN is merely the floating-point representation of undef when your
> variable is stored in a bare num.  And if you declare a variable as
> int, there may well be no representation for undef at all!  Similarly,
> it may be impossible to taint an int or a num, unless we can figure
> out a way to stuff such information into 0 bits.  But I'd like an
> array of int or num to be compact.

Probably this is rather late, and possibly this is an internals issue, but
isn't squeezing it in 0 bits as simple as having a parallel bit array for
storing the taint bit for each array of int or array of num?
(when tainting is enabled)

Nicholas Clark
--
ETAXMANUNHAPPY http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/CV.html