Garrett Goebel writes:
: ------_=_NextPart_001_01C1A506.D9BE78D0
: From: Larry Wall [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
: >
: > Garrett Goebel writes:
: > : And this is just looking at it in the simple case. When
: > : multiple-dispatch comes into the picture, then we'll
: > : have different invokations of the same method being
: > : dispatched to different implementations depending on
: > : the parameter list. I wonder how PRE/POST will work
: > : once that can of worms has been opened?
: >
: > I strongly suspect that DbC and multimethods are, at best, orthogonal.
: > My gut level feeling is that multimethod calls look like ordinary
: > subroutine calls, and the "method" eventually selected evaluates only
: > its own PRE/POST conditions, which could perhaps explicitly
: > delegate to other PRE/POST conditions.  If you want more than that,
: > you'll have to give me a PhD.  :-)
:
: I thought I had ;)
:
: That is after all, one of the reasons why I'm a continuing contributor to
: the Damian Conway fund.

And that is very much appreciated by all of us!

: Would it be as easy as allowing "global" PRE/POST condition blocks to be
: associated with an abstract method, and having a derived multimethod's
: implementation inherit the PRE/POST conditions from those inherited
: implementations which match the same parameter list? Er... for some
: definition of match. That's a gross oversimplification isn't it?

Every statement about DbC is oversimplified.
Every statement about multimethods is oversimplified.
Every statement about both is doubly oversimplified.
Whether that's gross is simply a matter of taste.

Larry