begin quote from Ashley Winters:
> I think that's exactly what you should be doing! Neither parrot nor the
> rx engine should try to be a full compiler. The rx engine definitely
> should have opcodes in the virtual machine, but those opcodes should
> simply contain state-machine/backtracking info, not godly unicode info.

If you want to hear how much fun there is to be had in bolting on Unicode
semantics from a language level to a regular expression engine that doesn't
have them built-in, I'll buy Jarkko a double whisky and send him in your
direction. I don't think you really want that.

I agree we should have a black-box regular expression engine. I believe,
however, it should conform to Unicode Technical Report #18. Because believe
me, if it doesn't do so out of the box, there's no hope it ever will.

--
        int three = 128+64, two = 128, one=64;
    - plan9 has a bad day