Dan Sugalski wrote:
> >my Complex $c = 3+4i;
> >my Complex $d = 4i;
> >my $plain = $c / $d;
> >
> >Does $plain get promoted, or does the result from the division
> get demoted?
>
> Since $plain's not a fixed scalar type, it should be whatever the
> division of $c and $d produces, presumably a complex number.

The value of the result is actually '3' after reducing, but I'm assuming
that a division of a type Complex by a type Complex would assume a result of
type Complex, regardless of the actual value. This is why I assumed that the
result would be promoted, even if it's not actually necessary.

> >Perhaps there could be a sort of 'try' for
> >conversion that returns the best possible result?
>
> That's an interesting idea. I kind of like it--float it past Larry
> and p6-language and see what happens.

I have to subscribe to ANOTHER list?!?!? <<grumble>><<grumble>>
Actually, maybe if I just post it with a note that I'm not subscribed :-).
Grant M.