I want to emulate a packed structure with Parrot in the way a compiler
would normally do this for a low level machine.

It just needs traditional notation for setting fields by offset into
the struct.

I sort of feel that PerlString _could_ handle this, but I'm curious
if there are any gotchas I'm not aware of. I do see that Strings
have native (ie. non-unicode) apis so potentially the substr()
method could be used, and I also see the API for setting
a void * into struct_val. Is this how we intend to represent class/structs
in memory?

-Melvin