# Keep in mind there is the primitive STRING type which is the S* registers,
# and then there is the PMC (PerlString) which uses vtables.

I am refering to the parrots internal strings e.g. S*

the vtable I am refering to is the 'encoding' vtable of functions in
the string struct  (*STRING).encoding (I may be misunderstanding this
though, please let me know if this is not 'encodings' purpose.)

# If you make calls to subroutines that may trigger a GC_collect()
# then the STRING you had might be moved or collected.

most of the calls that I had intede to use were already part of the
internal string api. although I am not certain I would hope that these
wouldnt be collected during computation.  I have not looked at any of
the GC parts of the source yet, I will soon.  I take it that "imortal"
is a flag that I can |= out of the flag INTVAL? will I need to do this
on my temporary STRINGS?  sorry for all the questions :-\

Roman