At 5:26 PM -0700 4/13/02, Larry Wall wrote:
>Well, Perl 5 doesn't really support compact arrays of known size, and
>those are the only kind that are easy to think about when it comes to
>vectorization.

Actually, I can think of other possibilities.  For instance, aren't
some string operations (e.g., comparing two strings) vectorizable?  But
your overall point seems valid.

Anyway, I'm hoping that quite a lot of this stuff shows up in Perl 6;
my take is that the things that Perl is slow at are the things that I
specify myself (e.g., complicated control structures and code); when
it can simply go off and do something (e.g., I/O), it runs as fast as
the C code that implements the thing it's doing.

-r
--
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm    - my home page, resume, etc.