Rich Morin writes:
: At 5:26 PM -0700 4/13/02, Larry Wall wrote:
: >Well, Perl 5 doesn't really support compact arrays of known size, and
: >those are the only kind that are easy to think about when it comes to
: >vectorization.
:
: Actually, I can think of other possibilities.  For instance, aren't
: some string operations (e.g., comparing two strings) vectorizable?  But
: your overall point seems valid.

Yep, that's why I said "easy", not "possible".

: Anyway, I'm hoping that quite a lot of this stuff shows up in Perl 6;
: my take is that the things that Perl is slow at are the things that I
: specify myself (e.g., complicated control structures and code); when
: it can simply go off and do something (e.g., I/O), it runs as fast as
: the C code that implements the thing it's doing.

Yes, to the extent that we can do that without blowing up perl to a 582
terabyte executable, that'll continue to be a good strategy.  On the
other hand, with the extra optional type information and a JIT, the
more your Perl code resembles C, the faster it should run, we hope.

Larry