On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Andrew J Bromage wrote:

> G'day all.
>
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 12:44:49AM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
>
> > Ah. Hmmm. Well, we're already attaching some metadata to ops in a
> > different way--that's what the op and inline keywords are doing. For
> > metadata that use parameters I can see a scheme like you're
> > proposing, though for others it doesn't work.
>
> The reason I tried a general mechanism is that I didn't know exactly
> what the optimizer would need before I started.  I still don't.  I
> probably won't even when the optimizer is working.  A general approach
> gives people a way to experiment, though admittedly little else.

Add me to the list, because I'm writting the jit optimizer and ran into
the same problem, we must add some metadata otherwise I will end up
hard-coding all the information deep into the optimizer and that is a Bad
Thing (tm). I don't know if this is the best way to solve this but I
rather like it.

Daniel Grunblatt.