> OK, will at least this statement still work as it does in Perl5?

No.

> Notice addition of parens.

....which, as you surmise later, have no effect on scoping issues.

> If that changes, I for one will need to go rewrite virtually every script
> and library I maintain,

....or let p52p6 do it for you.

But, yes, it is a major and fundamental change.

> My personal pain aside, it seems counter-intuitive to me.
>  $result gets my'ed over and over and over.

Err...no it doesn't. It gets C<my>'d exactly once: at compile-time.
It gets *assigned* over and over again.

> Even if the addition of the parens does make a difference, it doesn't look
> quite logical to me.  Parens in an evaluation are just grouping mechanisms,
> not structural controls.

Precisely. That's why they make no difference.

Damian