In a message dated Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Luke Palmer writes:

> On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Trey Harris wrote:
>
> > Why not allow C<else if> while still allowing C<elsif> as a synonym,
> > preserving backwards compatibility while still allowing all these weird
> > and varied constructs people seem to have use for?
>
> Backwards compatability is pretty much a lost cause for Perl 6.  You could
> argue that it's good to keep the people who are used to it happy, but in
> this case I don't think that's necessary. p52p6 should do all the
> backwards compatability work.

Oops, sorry.  I didn't really mean "backwards compatibility."  I meant
"convention".  C<elsif> could still be the preferred way of writing it,
while actually being a synonym for C<else if>.

Even if there's a rationale here, I think we're really getting in to the
realm of gratuitious changes (in the eyes of most Perl 5->6 migrants) if
C<elsif> changes to C<else if>.

Trey