Clinton A Pierce wrote:

> At 09:27 PM 5/18/2002 -0400, Jeff wrote:
> > > So the new assembler's unhappy.  Suggestions?
> >
> >Well, it's unhappy when you do lots of things. The code I was given was
> >not as complete/functional as I had been led to believe, inasmuch as it
> >doesn't live past test series 2 without some major tweaks that I'm
> >working on. And I'm not even going to comment on t/pmc... However, none
> >of this minor rant has anything to do with your problem.
> >
> >I can't reproduce it locally, so I'm wondering if the Windows build
> >might not properly expand the Perl_croak call from 'Perl_croak("foo")'
> >to 'Perl_croak(aTHX_ "Foo")', as the UNIX .xs build does...
>
> 1. You're right, it's not expanding at all under Win32.  Adding the aTHX_
> makes this compile.
>
> 2. The Makefile's looking for things like bytecode.o when under Win32 it
> should be bytecode.obj
>
> 3. After all this, the assembler will compile small programs.  Feeding it
> BASIC produces lots of warnings about uninitalized values and finally dies
> with:
>
>          Unparsable argument, starting from '"', QUOTE
>
> No line number, no context, nearly impossible to find to debug.
>
> I think you're right, and you were given a pig in a poke.

That's somewhat unfair. I was upset, and shouldn't have let off steam
like that, so I apologize publicly. I just checked in a small patch to
handle quoting issues, and am working at the moment on what should be
the final PMC issue solutions, at least I hope. It was written back when
keys were going to be a separate set of registers, and we don't do that
any more.
--
Jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>