According to README,

    You'll also need Perl 5.005 or above, compiled to support
    the types you wish to support in Parrot.  (Parrot will
    make, but you'll be unable to assemble anything.)  You can find
    what types are support by typing 'perl -V', and examining the
    values for ivtype and nvtype.  Parrot should work with INTVALs
    and NUMVALs up to those types.

However, trying to build with the Sun-supplied 5.005_03, I get the error

    cd lib/Parrot && /usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL && make && cd ..
    Could not eval '
                package ExtUtils::MakeMaker::_version;
                no strict;

                local $VERSION;
                $VERSION=undef; do {
                    our $VERSION = '0.01';
                }; $VERSION
            ' in PakFile2.pm: Can't modify subroutine entry in scalar assignment at
(eval 6) line 7, at EOF
    *** Error code 2
    make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `lib/Parrot/.dummy'

because lib/Parrot/Makefile.PL contains

    WriteMakefile(
        'NAME'              => 'Parrot::PakFile2',
        'VERSION_FROM'      => 'PakFile2.pm', # finds $VERSION

and PakFile2.pm says (among other things)

    require 5.005_62;
    use warnings;

    our @ISA = qw(Exporter DynaLoader);

none of which will work with 5.005.

Is it perhaps time to require 5.6.x?

(Note too that perl -V:ivtype and perl -V:nvtype also won't work in 5.005 -- those too
were introduced in the
5.6.x series.)

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Dept. of Physics