On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Dave Storrs wrote:

> I assume that 'fatal.pm' is a new pragma.

Already exists for Perl 5, actually.

> 1) What (if anything) does it do, aside from turning 'fail' into a fatal
> exception when used outside a regex?

What fatal currently does is wrap built-ins that might return undef with code
that will die when undef is returned.  I'm just generalizing that to having
a keyword that fails in whatever way the calling context desires, whether
by returning undef, throwing an exception, or backtracking the current regex.

> 2) Do you need to use it before you can (usefully) use 'fail' INSIDE a
> regex?  (I would assume not, but thought I'd check.)

No, it'll be built-in.  You'll only need to invoke the pragma to change the
defaults.

Larry