I'm following this list only for a very short time now, and I don't have very much
programming experience, so tell me if all this is pure nonsense.

But isn't this partly addressed with COW? The way I understood Copy On Write, it means
that if you "copy" a string, only some pointers are copied and some flags are set,
until you
modify one of the two strings. So IMHO, this shouldn't be too much slower than simply
copying the pointer of an immutable string.
And if you wanted to change a mutable string buffer (which has been passed to your code
by reference, for example), you might want to make a copy anyway, which is exactly what
happens when you modify a "copied" string in Parrot.
Thus I don't see a very big performance win in introducing mutable strings.