Paul Kienzle:
# On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 02:26:55AM +0000, Ashley Winters wrote:
# > On Monday 15 July 2002 02:25 am, Brent Dax wrote:
# > > -C library wrappers:  This is Parrot's version of the
# function, so
# > > it makes sense to prefix it with Parrot_.
# > >
# > > The third category I can see having a prefix of plat_
# (for platform)
# > > or some such, and perhaps the second could have misc_,
# but I foresee
# > > that becoming annoying.  (Which seems better to you,
# Parrot_sprintf
# > > or
# > > misc_sprintf?)
# >
# > c. parrot_sprintf
#
# Why does Parrot need C library wrappers?  For portability?
# If so, then for portability external applications should also
# use the wrapped functions, which
# means they are part of the Parrot API and so they should be
# prefixed with Parrot_.

If at some point in the future, we no longer need Parrot_time, I don't
think we should have to leave it in for backwards compatibility with
embedders.  Perhaps we should export it *if they ask for it somehow*,
but not by default, and not in a way that implies that it'll always be
there till the end of time.

BTW, Parrot_sprintf is a reimplementation with extra features, not a
compatibility wrapper.

--Brent Dax <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
@roles=map {"Parrot $_"} qw(embedding regexen Configure)

He who fights and runs away wasted valuable running time with the
fighting.